Sunday, November 7, 2010

My First 5K!!

Hello!!  Welcome to my fitness blog.  I have another blog called A Journey in Life on a different page if you're interested. :-)  Today my daughter and I went walking on some trails here in the city where I live.  I was surprised and delighted that they were so secluded!  I'm a nature freak and all this concrete in the Dallas area drives me crazy!!  So, it was really nice to be able to see a few other people that crossed our path but mainly we got to focus on trees and hear the birds chirping.  I will definitely go back there!

I have a goal that in April 2011 I am going to walk a marathon with my friends.  That may not seem like a lot to some people, but for me it's HUGE!  Let me explain.  First of all, I am not in the best shape of my life, but I am getting there.  With programs like P90X and Turbo Fire I am changing the shape of my body and feeling amazing!  Secondly, I was diagnosed with Degenerative Joint Disease (DJD) several years ago.  What that means is that my joints are 'iffy' at best.  They are deteriorating prematurely and the doctors told me to basically sit in a chair and watch life go one without me.  Well, THAT was NOT an option...not for me anyway.  I'd be lying if I said that depression didn't take a hold of me for a while when the pain became unbearable...but today I am a totally different person!  I've been working out regularly despite any pain I might have and I've also replaced my daily breakfast with an ultra premium health shake called Shakeology.  It has helped me to curb my junk food cravings and has also helped with my joint pain to a degree.  Don't get me wrong, there are days when I feel like I'm 80 years old, but I just...keep...moving.  Even if it's a slow stroll around the block.  I'm losing weight, feeling GREAT and now I want to help others to do the same.

So, anyway...that's a long story to tell you that I managed to walk a 5K today. No, there were no banners or people there cheering me on.  It was just me and my daughter on the trails that wind through the city where I live...but...I...did it!!  I actually walked 3.5 miles and I am so proud of myself!  I am not going to think about the fact that it's nowhere close to a marathon distance, I am just going to keep moving and striving to get to that 26 mile mark!

No comments:

Post a Comment